One-to-One Peer Support Volunteer
Become a One-to-One Peer Support Volunteer for individuals navigating the challenging path of grief. In this vital role, you’ll offer a comforting presence and a listening ear to those who are grappling with the profound emotions that accompany loss. Your empathetic nature and genuine understanding will provide solace to those in need, fostering a safe space for them to express their feelings and memories.
Please note that this is not counselling, but rather a dedicated effort to offer companionship and understanding during a difficult time.
- Must be 18 years of age or older;
- Having lived experience with death-related loss and being on a journey of healing is required to provide peer support to participants;
- A minimum of an 8-month commitment is strongly preferred; minimum 2 hours per month
- Being able to demonstrate compassion, inclusivity, authenticity, adaptability, integrity, non-judgment, resiliency, and self-management;
- A Vulnerable Sector Police Check will be required prior to facilitating groups (no older than 1 year; otherwise, the cost of the VSC will be reimbursed by BFO-SW);
- Applicants must commit to an online volunteer training if selected as a successful applicant.
How to Apply
Please email our Program Coordinator, Elizabeth at [email protected] to receive a Volunteer Application Form. Thank you for your interest in volunteering with us!
“Being a peer support facilitator with Bereaved Families of Ontario Southwest Region has been one of the most rewarding experiences I’ve had. To think that I can be there for people who might feel alone in their grieving, and to see them supporting each other in our meetings, it’s amazing. Volunteering with BFOSW adds to my sense of purpose, and it’s great that I can do something productive as a result of my own painful experience of loss.”
– BFOSW Volunteer
At BFO-SW, we welcome diverse talents. If you require accommodations for accessibility, please let us know. We’re dedicated to ensuring a welcoming and inclusive experience for all prospective volunteers.